If you have been diagnosed with a bulging disc in your lower back, you may be wondering what activities to avoid and what you can do to keep your back healthy. Bulging discs can be painful and can lead to further complications if not taken care of properly. Here is a list of what to avoid with a bulging disc in your lower back:
1. Heavy lifting: Lifting heavy objects can put a great deal of strain on your back, especially if you have a bulging disc. Try to minimize the amount of lifting you do, and if possible, have someone else help you.
2. Repetitive motions: Repetitive motions such as sitting for long periods of time or standing in one place can cause further strain on your back. If you must sit for long periods of time, be sure to take frequent breaks and stretch.
3. High-impact exercises: High-impact activities such as running or jumping can worsen the condition of your bulging disc and should be avoided. Low-impact activities such as swimming or cycling are better options.
4. Improper posture: Poor posture can cause further strain on your back, so be sure to stand and sit with proper posture.
5. Smoking: Smoking constricts the blood vessels in your body, which reduces the amount of oxygen and nutrients that reach your discs. This can cause further damage and exacerbate the condition of your bulging disc.
By avoiding these activities, you can help to ensure that your bulging disc does not worsen. It is important to speak to your doctor about the best course of action for your specific condition. In some cases, physical therapy or other treatments may be necessary.